Skip to Content

Frozen pipe insurance claims explode after cold snap, a public adjuster can help

Written by: Sill Public Adjusters

Frozen pipe insurance claims explode after cold snap, a public adjuster can help

The number of insurance claims due to frozen pipes has exploded in several states after the cold snap in December.

A massive winter storm dumped snow and ice and brought extreme cold to northern states from the Dakotas to the Northeast. People in the mid-Atlantic region also saw bone-chilling temperatures that led to numerous instances of frozen pipes.

Our team at Sill has been working with several property owners dealing with water damage claims resulting from those frozen pipes.

We specialize in significant property damage situations that affect commercial properties, businesses, or homes that suffered extreme damage due to water issues.

The pre-holiday storm led to widespread power outages, which resulted in significant problems for property owners.

In many cases, we are working with business owners who had shut down for the holidays and discovered the water leak several days after it began. The same is true for homeowners who may have been traveling for the holidays.

GET HELP NOW | Call 844.650.7455 | AVAILABLE 24/7

A water leak left unnoticed for several hours or days can be devastating, damaging floors, carpets, walls, office equipment, and anything touched by water.

If the water is not cleaned up properly, mold can set in, leading to even more damage that needs to be repaired properly.

If your home or business suffered any water damage from frozen pipes, it is a good idea to hire a public adjuster to get professional help to ensure your insurance claim is handled correctly. 

Filing an insurance claim can be stressful, especially if you aren't an expert in insurance policy language. Most property owners are unaware they have the right to hire a public adjuster to represent them throughout an insurance claim.

A public adjuster levels the playing field, giving the property an advocate who will represent their best interests throughout the claim. A public adjuster does NOT work for the insurance company; they are there to expedite the claim and ensure nothing is missed in a damage inspection.

A property owner needs to understand what to expect when filing a property damage claim. 

Typically once you submit your insurance claim, your insurance company will send one of their adjusters to inspect the property, review the damage, and ask you questions about what caused it.

They will also ask you about your property's condition before the damage occurs. You will be able to provide estimates from your research about the cost of repairing any damage. This will become part of a proof of loss document that will be required for your claim.

Just so you know, the adjuster works for the insurance company. 

If you hire a public adjuster, you will have an insurance claim management expert who can produce the proof of loss documentation for you. A detailed proof of loss report that a public adjuster generated will speed up the entire process.

RELATED | What happens when you file an insurance claim?

Water damage claims can be complex as moisture may lead to hidden damage that your insurance company's adjuster could overlook. 

Our team of property damage experts will carefully inspect every inch of your property and use moisture detection technology to find any potential issues behind walls and hard-to-reach areas of your property.

It is essential to understand what is or is not covered by your insurance policy during a water damage claim. If rising floodwaters caused the damage, your property might only be covered if you have specific flood coverage in your policy.

Your policy should cover your damages for water damage caused by other sources. For example, you should be covered if a tree falls on the roof during a storm and rainwater causes further damage.

Water damage from a broken water supply line would also be covered if the leak was sudden and accidental. 

It is possible that your policy does not cover damage caused by a gradual leak that slowly spreads.

RELATED | How is a public adjuster different from an insurance adjuster?

We recommend you call a public adjuster immediately after your property is damaged. Contacting Sill immediately can save you countless hours of work at the start of your claim. When you hire Sill, we can get your claim started quickly.

We can schedule meetings with your insurance company's adjuster and produce the proof of loss documentation that will be required. If you hire Sill, you can focus on your recovery plan while we handle your insurance claim.

Our clients choose Sill because they want the most experienced public adjusting firm representing them throughout their claims. Our company has the staff and experience to handle even the most significant property claims at apartment complexes, manufacturing facilities, retail centers, and high-value residential claims.

Our team is available 24/7 at 844.650.7455. Contact Sill right away if your property has been damaged.


Sill is the leading public adjusting firm in North America. We have offices throughout the United States and Canada, which means we can respond to any location within hours. We have been in business for more than 90 years, and we have successfully negotiated insurance claims with almost every insurance provider in the industry.

When your hire Sill, you will have a team of insurance experts, who are licensed by your local insurance commission, there to ensure you get the settlement you deserve. Sill is a proud member of the National Association of Public Adjusters.